The Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO) is a parastatal under the agency of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology. FIIRO was the idea of an economic mission sent to Nigeria in 1953 by the World Bank. The mission's observation was that industrial research activities in Nigeria were diffused and uncoordinated with no definite direction. Consequently, a decision was reached to set the Institute in 1956.
To be the foremost centre for Science and Technology-based research and development for the industrialization and socio-economic advancement of the nation.
To conduct and promote market-driven research and development (R&D) for the industrialization and socio-economic development of the country.
REVIEWED MANDATE OF THE FEDERAL INSTITUTE OF INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH OSHODI
- Research and Development of Food and Agro – Allied Processing Technologies.
- Research and Development into Pulp and Paper Processing.
- Research and Development into Packaging and Product Design
- Design and Fabrication of Equipment Prototype.
- To engage in research and development up to pilot plant stage.
- To conserve Nigeria's foreign exchange earnings be reducing dependence on foreign goods, through the development of local substitutes from locally available raw materials.
- To improve the nutritional qualities of Nigerian foods, and their suitability for industrial processing.
- To improve the indigenous, traditional techniques of food production which are labour-intensive, time consuming and energy sapping.
- To engage in the design and fabrication of machinery and equipment, development of foundry processes and materials, casting of iron and aluminium production, and machining of spare parts.
- Processing of ceramic materials and other solid based minerals for industrial use, including development of ceramic glass and mineral technology.
- Technical, analytical and consultancy services for existing and planned industries.
- To engage in technology transfer to the public through licensing training courses and capital goods acquisition. To also offer consultancy services to individuals, public and private institutes in Nigeria and overseas.
- To undertake the preparation, publication and Dissemination of useful technical information to industries and researchers.
The institute is located at FIIRO road, off Agege Motor road, Cappa Bus Stop, Oshodi Lagos Nigeria.
FIIRO occupies a five hectare land mass. It has organizations such as NITEL, NAFDAC, NAFRC and NIMET as her surrounding neighbours. The major buildings in the institute include, the Administrative building, which accommodates the office of the Director General, the Library, Accounts etc, the second wing of the Administrative building is exclusively for all the six Directors in the institute.
We also have the three storey buildings that we refer to as the Laboratory and the Engineering building. Between the Laboratory building and the Administrative building is the bakery and close to the bakery is FIIRO’s first ever Pilot Plant. Also within the premises are the multipurpose building, the foundry, the staff canteen, the fruit juice pilot plant, the staff quarters and the prototype machine building.
INFRASTRUCTURAL FACILITIES: (Please check profile)