The Biotechnology Department is one of the technical departments in the Institute. The Department sets out to use industrial biotechnology to create Health, Clean Environment and Wealth.
In view of this, the Department therefore undertakes research and development to harness Nigeria's rich natural resources and wastes for nutritional applications, protection of the environment, generation of bio-energy and industrial needs.
To effectively carry out this mandate, the Department is divided into these key areas:Enzymology, Genetics, Wastes Utilization and Fermentation.
BIOTECHNOLOGY R&D PROJECTS
Stated below are the activities of the different key areas.
Pectinases, Glucoisomerase Cellulase, Phytases
- Production of Clarified & Carbonated clarified fruit juices
- Production of Glucose Syrup
- Production of Fructose.
- Lyophilisation of micro-organisms
- Starter culture development
- Molecular Identification of Organisms
Cultivation of Edible Mushroom,
- Microbial Production of Antibiotics,
- Biogas & Biofertilizer Production
- Microbial Production of Citric Acid.
Production of wines from locally available fruits , Vegetables and flowers
- Upgraded technology of condiment production e.g Soy dawadawa & Ogiri
- Microbial Production of MSG
- Upgraded technology of Ogi production
- Shell-life stable production of Kunnu-zaki.
- Production of Ales.
Quality systems & Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP), Food Safety.
Current Research Projects
Microbial production of Xylanases for use in the Industries
- Microbial production of Alkaline Proteases
- Production of Condiment from African Yam Beans
- Phytase: Utilization of local oil bean meals in the production of phytase for animal feed
- Ugba: Upgrading of the production process of Ugba and indigenous Nigerian food
- Mushroom: pilot plant production of tropical edible Mushroom
- Isolation of high sugar and high alcohol tolerant yeast.
Development of a Local Technology for Oxytetracycline and Tetracycline Production
- Production of Biogas and Biofertilizer
- Wines from Local Fruits, Vegetables and Flowers
- Production of clarified Fruit Juice
- Production of Carbonated Fruit Juices
- Industrial Enzyme Production
- Detoxified cassava Starch Production
- Production of Glucose Syrup from Cassava Starch
- Edible Mushroom Production
- Soy-Ogi Production
- Soy-Gari Production
- Soy Dawadawa
- Bottling and Preservation of Palm Wine
CONTACT THE DIRECTOR
Dr. (Mrs.) Dike Ekaette Nduka
Phd. Food Microbiology
BSc. (Hons) Microbiology
Certificate in Quality Control on Food Beverage & Brewery Industry
FNIRST, IPAN, AIMN, NSM, ACS (USA), ASM (USA)
Tel: +234 8060082236, +234 8098082236