WELCOME TO THE FEDERAL INSTITITUTE OF INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH OSHODI
Welcome to FIIRO’s website, the official window of Nigeria’s foremost research institute to the outside world. An adventure into this website affords you the opportunity to acquaint yourself with our vision, mission, antecedents, activities and land mark achievements.
We have the broad mandate of accelerating industrialization in Nigeria and has over the years developed technologies that have promoted the ideals of entrepreneurship development.
We have locally sourced alternative raw materials for our industries, thereby conserving foreign exchange; through adequate food processing techniques we have improved the nutritional content of our food intake and we have locally fabricated machines, equipment and many more.
Impressed as they were with FIIRO’s unequal strides, corporate organizations, governments, NGOs, international organizations, donor agencies, and the academia have actively identified with our R&D pursuits. You can see a list of corporate beneficiaries from FIIRO's research work here.
Also at your disposal via this web are the schedules of our trainings, seminars and workshops. The website also showcases our publications and contributions in making R&D a worthwhile venture.
Please browse our website and use the search feature to link to publications available for download and other information you might need.
Thank you and WELCOME!!!
CHEMICAL, FIBRE AND ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT (CFET)
The Department of Chemical, Fiber and Environmental Technology was established to carry out excellent scientific and market and industry-driven Research and Development (R&D) activities and produce world-class patentable process technologies and products in the areas of:Chemical and Agro-allied industrial products and processes,
New products and process technologies for pulp, paper, packaging, polymer and textiles
New process technologies on environmental pollution and pollution abatement/containment devices and products, and
Technical assistance to small, medium and large-scale industrial concerns through collaborations, contract research, product and process monitoring and quality evaluation/assessment
These are achieved by building and upholding the culture of innovativeness and integrity in the pursuit of research results through a highly qualified, technically competent, well-motivated and keenly competitive and aggressively committed team of Research and Technical staff.
Current Research Projects
Utilization of agro-wastes as alternative raw materials for pulp, paper and packaging production.
- Non-food utilization of oils and fats from Lesser Known oil seeds.
- Development and production of intermediates raw materials for food, pharmaceutical, cosmetics and soap industries
- Development and production of antiseptics cosmetics, soaps and dentifrices from local sources.
- Various industrial liquid effluent treatment using FIIRO developed pollution Abatement and effluent treatment devices.
- Solid waste management and Conversion into useful sundry products
- Development and production of fire-proof and heat resistant acoustic ceiling boards, particle boards and plastic automobile components using agricultural wastes.
Food colours, emulsifier, stabilizer and flavors from natural sources
- Essential oils and fragrances from citronella, Eucalyptus and lemongrass.
- Pulp and paper production from local woods.
- Alkyd Resin from oil of beniseed (sesame seed)
- Upgrading of traditional process for production of black soap.
- Glues from Cow bones, hides and skin.
- Cold Water Sellable Starch Production
- Gum/Glues and Adhesives from Cassava Starch
- Kenaf/Bannana/Plantain Utilization
CONTACT THE DIRECTOR
Dr.Chima Cartney Igwe
Director of CFET FIIRO
Certificate: Corporate Planning, Strategic Mgt. and Project Mgt.
Doctor of Philosophy – Chemistry (Organic)
Master of Science -Chemistry
Bachelor of Science (1st Class Hons.) - Chemistry/Ed.
Nigeria Certificate in Education – Chemistry/Biology/Ed.
West African School Certificate - Division Two
General Certificate in Education - Six Papers