Molecular Biology & Genetics (MBGD) was created in 2011 from the genetics unit of the enzyme and genetics division in the biotechnology department. The focus of the division is firstly, to facilitate the application of molecular biology techniques/tools in research, analysis, and product development. Secondly, the division was envisaged to be a resource centre for the scientific community and the industries in the area of microbial culture collection, preservation, and distribution. These two major areas of activity are aimed at enhancing biotechnology through increased utilization of beneficial microorganisms and other biological resources for human benefits while driving industrial growth.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Fermentation of African yam bean (Sphenostylis sternocarpa) to soup condiment
- Development and production of yoghurt and dairy starter cultures
- Development and production of fermented sweet potato starter cultures and products
- Production of tannase from agro-waste using mutated microorganisms
- Development and production of prebiotic, probiotic, and/or symbiotic food supplement
- Development and production of probiotic yoghurt.
Dr. Joy Ehiwuogu Onyibe
Deputy Director (Molecular Biology and Genetics Division)
E-mail: Joy.email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone No: +2348023020800 and +2348099419801