Enzymes and Genetics Division is one of the Pioneer Division of the Biotechnology Department, but later became Enzyme Technology Division from the year 2011. The core value of the Division involves Research and Development into the local productions and utilization of Industrial enzymes from agro-industrial waste for use by Industries in Nigeria. The production process involves fermentation processes through solid state and submerged methods using micro-organisms on the agro-industrial wastes.
Recently, the Federal Government of Nigeria through the Ministry of Science and Technology on the Research effort of the developed enzymes in the Division made the Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi an Enzyme Research Centre in Nigeria.
Vision of the Division:
The vision of the Division is to be the National reference centre in Biocatalysis and a link between technological innovation and the Industry
Mission of the Division:
The Mission of the Division is to promote grassroot development using Industrial enzymes in values addition for product development for the use of the Industry.
On-going Research Project:
1. Microbial production of the following enzymes by solid state fermentation and submerged fermentation:
* Glucose Isomerase
2. Molecular Characterization of the identified strains through transformational studies for the enhancement of products.
3. Applicational studies of the developed enzymes for product development.
4. Production of the enzymes using large scale fermentors.
5. Microbial Production of Biosurfactants from Local Sources.
1- Local Technology for the production of Industrial enzymes.
2- Production of Glucose syrup and fructose syrup.
3- Production of Clarified carbonated fruit juice.
4- Production of Biogas and Biofertilizer from agro-industrial wastes.
By the year 2025, The Enzyme technology Division hope to perfect the technology of microbial production of most Industrial enzyme needs of Industries in Nigeria in order to reduce importation, save foreign reserves and support the actualisation of sustainable Development Goals. In order to achieve this current focus, our key commercial objectives for our R&D programme have incorporated:
- The development and production of novel, innovative enzymes and processes in a cost- and eco-efficient manner, increasingly using renewable raw materials.
- The discovery and optimisation of improved microbial strains and biocatalysts.
- Biocatalyst process design, production of novel enzymes form micro-organisms
- Integration of Microbial genomics and bio-informatics
- Metabolic engineering and kinetics modelling
- Biocatalyst function and optimisation
- Bio-catalytic process design
- Incorporation of Advanced Protein separation tools within best recognised practices
- Fermentation science and engineering
- Innovative downstream processing more especially for enzymes produced through submerged fermentation Method.
Contact in the Division;
Orji, Frank Anayo, Ph.D.
Industrial and Environmental Microbiologist
Head, (Enzyme Technology Division)
Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi
PMB 21023, Ikeja
- Member, American Society of Microbiology
- Member, Nigerian Society for Microbiology
- Member, Mycotoxicological Society of Nigeria
- Member, Association of Industrial Microbiologists of Nigeria (AIMN)
- Member, Mycological Society of Nigeria (MYCOSON)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD LIST OF PUBLICATIONS IN ACADEMIC JOURNALS AND BOOKS BY DR. FRANK ANAYO ORJI
OTHER NECESSARY PICTURES FOR THE ENZYME TECHNOLOGY FOLLOWS;-